Advice social workers should ask for…listen to us! We can help give you advice. Below is a top 10 list of things that can be done better by Social Workers and other professionals working with youth in care.
Top 10 Tips for Social Workers working with Teens
1. Make enough time and effort to meet with youth frequently.
2. Try to meet outside the office.
3. Clear, HONEST, communication. (Being clear about the plan of care / why youth were put into care etc.)
4. Allow for feedback, to listen, and follow up.
5. Use youth friendly language.
6. Celebrate milestones and accomplishments. (Birthdays, graduations, 1st job, etc.)
7. Less hassle to sign for releases. (School events, sports, etc.)
8. Youth should be informed of the rules of the new house beforehand.
9. Have more general knowledge about resources (FBCYICN, AFABC, SOTCS, etc.)
10. Do not judge me by my file!